In this episode of the People Leaders Podcast, we interview Tony Martignetti, Chief Inspiration Officer and Founder of Inspired Purpose Coaching. Tony is a leadership coach with a specialty in working with leaders and their teams to navigate through change and unlock their true potential.
He is known for supporting leaders by helping them find clarity so that they can unlock their full potential and lead effectively.
Throughout his career, he has gained some valuable lessons by working with high-performing leaders in many different organisations.
- Tony has been coaching leaders for a long time and loves seeing people go through the transformation process.
- Coaching is a powerful tool that can equip leaders to become aware of their inner capabilities.
- Tony says that coaching benefits both the coach and the “coachee”. Seeing the change in people is fulfilling at both ends.
- One of the biggest challenges faced by individuals and teams is the lack of security. People are afraid to speak up, especially in today’s environment where most team meetings happen virtually.
- Psychological Safety: An important variant to think about especially during this pandemic. People need to feel safe and part of that is the trust shown by leaders.
- An element of caring is what builds an individual. Tony says that leaders should show a sense of compassion and care towards their team. Mental health is important and builds confidence in people.
- As a manager, leaders must demonstrate love, kindness and concern towards their team. Teams thrive in this environment because they feel a sense of security.
- Tony talks about Notion of Clarity - the “aha” moment that an individual experiences when they realise their True North.
- He also talks about his process and how there is no single prescribed method to coaching. Tony does however focus on the paradox around expanding vision to narrow focus.
- If you tap into and expand your field of vision, you look at the possibilities in front of you. You can then narrow your focus and execute your vision accordingly. Making changes is ultimately about choosing the right path to move forward.
- Tony hosts a Virtual Campfire Podcasts which is a virtual area for people to share their transformation stories. His guests focus on flashpoints in their life that may have ignited at some point turning their experience into a gift to the world.
- Tony also shares an emotional story about Anne Brennan, an iron woman who was at the top of her game and through personal life struggles ended up in a psych ward due to suicidal tendencies. In that darkest place she was able to rise up because she realised her gift was to help others raise their voices and make people aware of suicide.
- One of the main points Tony has driven during this interview is about people’s growth journeys. Are you climbing the right mountain? People start the climb, only to realise that you aren't on the right mountain after all. What do you do when you realise that?
- Growth is not easy but it should be rewarding. If you aren’t feeling that successful, or if you are feeling tired and angry, you can assume that’s a clue to change. If you want to get to the top and you want the next chapter to start in your life, you need to change your path.
- Tony stresses the importance of coaching and the reason why it’s powerful. Not everyone has the support structure they need in life. Coaching provides a non-judgemental safe place for an individual to grow and succeed.