It was such a privilege to speak to David Shar on the People Leaders Podcast – he is a truly inspirational man. David is a keynote speaker, trainer and consultant who helps organisations improve their leadership culture and avoid burnout. As leaders we are often focused on troubleshooting the poor performers rather than building the right leadership culture to enable everybody to thrive, so it was great to hear David’s guidance on how to do it. Are business leaders looking at things the wrong way?
- Now there is a culture of working from home, we’re seeing that people are actually putting in more hours. This really should not be the case. It’s time to start taking advantage of this change in the workplace!
- There are three main aspects to ‘burnout’. Overload, cynicism and a lack of personal accomplishment. People often only focus on the first aspect, but it’s important to understand the other two.
- What is it that is baked into our work culture that is causing all this stress? The emphasis should not be on curing the stress afterwards – it should be on preventing it in the first place.
- The positive change in our lifestyles in a Covid era should be captured. Write down and commit to the things you now believe to be important to your wellbeing and make sure you stick to them when times change after Covid.
- You don't need to be a superhero every day. You just need to be you. Whatever your thing is, whether it's kindness or humor or empathy… bring that to the people that are connected to you.