In this episode of the People Leaders Podcast, we talk about useful strategies on how to build and develop confidence, tips on self-promoting and selling - without it feeling awkward, and different ways to improve communication.
We invited Bill Kurzeja, the owner and founder of Professional Success South, a sales training and business consulting firm, to join the show. He talks to us about his expertise and passion in training and coaching, specialising in the basics of communication and how paying attention to detail helps build a strong foundation.
- Bill’s career began in the United States Army where he learned discipline and the importance of strict attention to detail.
- Bill made his way up the ranks to sergeant where he learned about leadership and the importance of clear, effective communication in training.
- He transitioned out of the military into retail and rose through the ranks of finance, sales manager to GM positions.
- Confidence can be earned when you gain the knowledge of a certain product, service, or type of skill set.
- Tips on how to increase one’s level of confidence. The more you practice the better you get.
- When you're passionate about something it will show. You won’t have to think twice about what to say or how to say it, it will just come naturally.
- Show honesty and be authentic. Other people will pick up on that and want to learn more.
- Smaller goals are ideal because it's easier to achieve in a short amount of time. It also encourages you to move on to the next step quicker.
- Focus on verbal and non-verbal communication. Your words are as important as your tone of voice, your body language and the inflection in your pitch.
- Express empathy by understanding the pain points of others. Take some time to understand employee struggles and lead accordingly.
- One of the most important pillars of communication is listening. When someone says something to you or asks you a question, you don’t have to say something back right away just to fill the void.